Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to stela: Tesla
1. also ste·la (stē′lə) pl. steles also ste·lae (-lē) An upright stone or slab with an inscribed or sculptured surface, used as a monument or as a commemorative tablet in the face of a building.
2. stele (stēl, stē′lē) The primary vascular tissue in the stem or root of a vascular plant, consisting of the xylem and phloem together with supporting tissues, such as pith.
ste′lar (-lər) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
ste•le(ˈsti li, stil for 1-3; stil, ˈsti li for 4 )
n., pl. ste•lai (ˈsti laɪ) ste•les (ˈsti liz, stilz)
1. an upright stone slab or pillar bearing an inscription or design and serving as a monument, marker, or the like.
2. a prepared surface on the face of a building, a rock, etc., bearing an inscription or the like.
3. the central cylinder of vascular tissue in the stems and roots of the higher plants.Also, stela (for defs. 1-3).
[1810–20; < Greek stḗlē, akin to Latin stāre to stand]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stela - an ancient upright stone slab bearing markings|
antiquity - an artifact surviving from the past
stone - building material consisting of a piece of rock hewn in a definite shape for a special purpose; "he wanted a special stone to mark the site"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.