Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to stemma: ISKU
n. pl. stem·ma·ta (stĕm′ə-tə) or stem·mas
1. A scroll recording the genealogy of an ancient Roman family; a family tree.
2. A record or diagram showing the relationships of the manuscripts of a literary work.
3. A simple eye present in certain insect larvae.
[Latin stemma, stemmat-, from Greek, garland, from stephein, to encircle.]
(Heraldry) a family tree; pedigree
[C19: via Latin from Greek stemma garland, wreath, from stephein to crown, wreathe]
n., pl. o•cel•li (oʊˈsɛl aɪ)
1. the simple eye of many invertebrates, consisting of retinal cells, pigments, and nerve fibers.
2. an eyelike spot, as on a peacock feather.
oc•el•lat•ed (ˈɒs əˌleɪ tɪd, oʊˈsɛl eɪ tɪd) oc•el•late (ˈɒs əˌleɪt, oʊˈsɛl ɪt, -eɪt) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stemma - a tree diagram showing a reconstruction of the transmission of manuscripts of a literary work|
|2.||stemma - the descendants of one individual; "his entire lineage has been warriors"|
blood line, bloodline, ancestry, lineage, pedigree, line of descent, parentage, blood, origin, descent, stock, line
kinfolk, kinsfolk, phratry, family line, sept, folk, family - people descended from a common ancestor; "his family has lived in Massachusetts since the Mayflower"
side - a family line of descent; "he gets his brains from his father's side"
|3.||stemma - an eye having a single lens|
ommatidium - any of the numerous small cone-shaped eyes that make up the compound eyes of some arthropods