Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A keyboard machine used to record dictation in shorthand by a series of phonetic symbols.
2. A phonetic symbol or combination of symbols produced by such a machine.
tr.v. sten·o·typed, sten·o·typ·ing, sten·o·types
To record or transcribe (matter) with a stenotype machine.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) trademark a machine with a keyboard for recording speeches, etc, in a phonetic shorthand
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) any machine resembling this
3. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) the phonetic symbol typed in one stroke of such a machine
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -typed, -typ•ing. n.
1. a keyboard machine resembling a typewriter, used in stenotypy.
2. the symbols typed in one stroke on this machine.v.t.
3. to write or record with a stenotype.
[1890–95; formerly a trademark]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.