Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
stereo-(word root) solid
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. Solid; solid body: stereolithography.
2. Three-dimensional: stereoscope.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
stereo-or sometimes before a vowel
indicating three-dimensional quality or solidity: stereoscope.
[from Greek stereos solid]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ster•e•o(ˈstɛr iˌoʊ, ˈstɪər-)
n., pl. ster•e•os,
1. a system or equipment for reproducing stereophonic sound.
2. stereophonic sound reproduction.
3. stereoscopic photography.
4. a stereoscopic photograph.
6. pertaining to stereophonic sound, stereoscopic photography, etc.
a combining form meaning “solid,” “solid body or figure,” “three-dimensions”: stereochemistry; stereogram; stereoscope.Also, esp. before a vowel,stere-.
[< Greek, comb. form of stereós hard, solid]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.