stereotypic(redirected from stereotypicly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.
2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.
3. Printing A metal printing plate cast from a matrix molded from a raised printing surface, such as type.
tr.v. ster·e·o·typed, ster·e·o·typ·ing, ster·e·o·types
1. To make a stereotype of.
2. To characterize by a stereotype: "Elderly Americans are the neglected sector of the fashion industry, stereotyped by blue hair and polyester pantsuits" (American Demographics).
3. To give a fixed, unvarying form to.
4. To print from a stereotype.
[French stéréotype, stereotype printing : stéréo-, solid (from Greek stereo-; see stereo-) + type, printing type (from Old French, symbol, from Late Latin typus; see type).]
ster′e·o·typ′ic (-tĭp′ĭk), ster′e·o·typ′i·cal (-ĭ-kəl) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||stereotypic - lacking spontaneity or originality or individuality; "stereotyped phrases of condolence"; "even his profanity was unimaginative"|
conventional - unimaginative and conformist; "conventional bourgeois lives"; "conventional attitudes"