still life(redirected from still lifes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. still lifes
1. Representation of usually household objects, such as flowers or food, in painting or photography.
2. A painting, picture, or photograph of such objects.
n, pl still lifes
1. (Art Terms)
a. a painting or drawing of inanimate objects, such as fruit, flowers, etc
b. (as modifier): a still-life painting.
2. (Art Terms) the genre of such paintings
n., pl. still lifes.
1. a representation chiefly of inanimate objects, as a painting of a bowl of fruit.
2. the category of subject matter in which inanimate objects are represented, as in painting or photography.
[1685–95; translation of Dutch stilleven]
A study of an arrangement of inanimate objects, such as fruit or flowers; a favorite form of the Dutch School.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||still life - a painting of inanimate objects such as fruit or flowers|