stock in trade
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
stock-in-tradealso stock in trade (stŏk′ĭn-trād′, stŏk′ĭn-trād′)
1. All the merchandise and equipment kept on hand and used in carrying on a business.
2. The resources available to and habitually called on by a person in a given situation: A ready wit is her stock-in-trade.
stock in tradeor
1. (Commerce) goods in stock necessary for carrying on a business
2. (Commerce) anything constantly used by a person as a part of his or her profession, occupation, or trade: friendliness is the salesman's stock in trade.
stock′ in trade′
1. the goods or equipment needed for carrying on a business.
2. resources or abilities peculiar to an individual or group.