stock car(redirected from stock-car)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An automobile of a standard make modified for racing.
2. A railroad car for carrying livestock.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Automotive Engineering)
a. a car, usually a production saloon, strengthened and modified for a form of racing in which the cars often collide
b. Also: stock-car (as modifier): stock-car racing.
2. (Railways) US and Canadian a railway wagon designed for carrying livestock. Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): cattle truck
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a standard model of automobile changed in various ways for racing purposes.
2. a boxcar for carrying livestock.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stock car - a car kept in dealers' stock for regular sales|
|2.||stock car - a racing car with the basic chassis of a commercially available car|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
stock carn (Sport) → stock-car m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995