Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Ecclesiastical A long scarf, usually of embroidered silk or linen, worn over the left shoulder by deacons and over both shoulders by priests and bishops while officiating.
2. An ornamental garment worn over both shoulders and tapering to a point in front and in back, worn especially by members of church choirs or as a part of academic dress.
3. A long scarf of cloth or fur worn about the shoulders.
4. A long robe or outer garment worn by matrons in ancient Rome.
[Middle English, from Old English, from Latin stola, garment, robe, from Greek stolē; see stel- in Indo-European roots.]
Past tense of steal.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
the past tense of steal
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a long scarf or shawl, worn by women
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a long narrow scarf worn by various officiating clergymen
[Old English stole, from Latin stola, Greek stolē clothing; related to stellein to array]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
pt. of steal.
1. an ecclesiastical vestment consisting of a narrow strip of silk or other material worn over the shoulders or, by deacons, over the left shoulder only.
2. a woman's shoulder scarf of fur, silk, or other material.
[before 950; Old English < Latin stola < Greek stolḗ robe]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stole - a wide scarf worn about their shoulders by women|
scarf - a garment worn around the head or neck or shoulders for warmth or decoration
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
stole1 [stəʊl] N (= garment) → estola f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Stola f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
stole1 [stəʊl] n → stola
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995