stool pigeon(redirected from stool pigeons)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Slang A person acting as a decoy or as an informer, especially one who is a spy for the police.
2. A pigeon used as a decoy.
[From the practice of tying decoy pigeons to a stool to attract other pigeons.]
stool pigeon(ˈstuːlɪ) ,
1. (Hunting) a living or dummy pigeon used to decoy others
2. (Law) an informer for the police; nark
3. slang US a person acting as a decoy
1. a pigeon used as a decoy.
2. Also called stool•ie (ˈstu li) Slang. a person employed or acting as a decoy or informer, esp. for the police.
A person who betrays others, especially a criminal who informs on other criminals; from the old method of hunting pigeons by decoying them with another bird tethered to a stool.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stool pigeon - someone acting as an informer or decoy for the police|
|2.||stool pigeon - a dummy pigeon used to decoy others|