Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. See storm-petrel.
2. One who brings discord or appears at the onset of trouble; a rebel.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) another name for storm petrel
2. a person who brings or portends trouble
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a storm petrel, Hydrobates pelagicus, of the E Atlantic Ocean, Mediterranean Sea, and Indian Ocean.
2. a person who likes strife.
3. a person or thing that foreshadows trouble.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stormy petrel - sooty black petrel with white markings; of the northern Atlantic and Mediterranean|
storm petrel - any of various small petrels having dark plumage with paler underparts
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n → Sturmschwalbe f; (fig) → Unglücksbote m → /-botin f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007