Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to stovepipe: Stovepipe hat
1. A pipe, usually of thin sheet metal, used to conduct smoke or fumes from a stove into a chimney flue.
2. A very tall hat with a flat crown and narrow brim, traditionally made of silk.
3. Informal A pathway for transmitting information higher in a hierarchy while bypassing intervening levels that remain uninformed about this information.
tr.v. stove·piped, stove·pip·ing, stove·pipes Informal
To transmit (information) up in a hierarchy by means of a stovepipe.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a pipe that serves as a flue to a stove
2. (Clothing & Fashion) Also called: stovepipe hat a man's tall silk hat
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a pipe, as of sheet metal, serving as a stove chimney or to connect a stove with a chimney flue.
2. a tall silk hat.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stovepipe - chimney consisting of a metal pipe of large diameter that is used to connect a stove to a flue|
chimney - a vertical flue that provides a path through which smoke from a fire is carried away through the wall or roof of a building
|2.||stovepipe - a man's hat with a tall crown; usually covered with silk or with beaver fur|
chapeau, hat, lid - headdress that protects the head from bad weather; has shaped crown and usually a brim
man's clothing - clothing that is designed for men to wear
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.