Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
tr.v. stowed, stow·ing, stowsPhrasal Verb:
a. To place or arrange, especially in a neat, compact way: stowed his gear in the footlocker.
b. To fill (a place or container) by packing tightly.
2. To store for future use: stowed carrots and potatoes in the root cellar.
3. Slang To refrain from; stop.
4. To provide lodging for; quarter.
1. To hide oneself aboard a conveyance in order to obtain free transportation.
2. Informal To consume (food or drink) greedily.