straitjacket(redirected from straitjacketed)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
strait·jack·etalso straight·jack·et (strāt′jăk′ĭt)
1. A long-sleeved jacketlike garment used to bind the arms tightly against the body as a means of restraining a violent patient or prisoner.
2. Something that restricts, hinders, or confines: the straitjacket of bureaucratic paperwork.
tr.v. strait·jack·et·ed, strait·jack·et·ing, strait·jack·ets also straight·jack·et·ed or straight·jack·et·ing or straight·jack·ets
To restrain, restrict, or hinder by or as if by confining in a straitjacket.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) Also called: straightjacket a jacket made of strong canvas material with long sleeves for binding the arms of violent prisoners or mentally ill patients
2. a severe restriction or limitation
(tr) to confine in or as if in a straitjacket
or straight•jack•et(ˈstreɪtˌdʒæk ɪt)
1. a garment made of strong material and designed to bind the arms, as of a violent person.
2. anything that severely confines or constricts.v.t.
3. to put in or as if in a straitjacket.
Past participle: straitjacketed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||straitjacket - anything immaterial that severely hinders or confines; "they defected because Russian dance was in a straitjacket"; "the government is operating in an economic straitjacket"|
|2.||straitjacket - a garment similar to a jacket that is used to bind the arms tightly against the body as a means of restraining a violent person|
garment - an article of clothing; "garments of the finest silk"