Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Sports An illegal wrestling hold used to choke an opponent.
2. A force, influence, or action that restricts or suppresses freedom or progress. Also called throttlehold.
1. (Wrestling) a wrestling hold in which a wrestler's arms are pressed against the opponent's windpipe. See also Japanese stranglehold
2. complete power or control over a person or situation
1. an illegal wrestling hold by which an opponent's breath is choked off.
2. any force or influence that restricts free actions or development.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stranglehold - complete power over a person or situation; "corporations have a stranglehold on the media"; "the president applied a chokehold to labor disputes that inconvenienced the public"|
|2.||stranglehold - a wrestling hold in which the arms are pressed against the opponent's windpipe|
wrestling hold - a hold used in the sport of wrestling