stratigraphy(redirected from stratigraphically)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to stratigraphically: Rock layer
The study of rock strata, especially the distribution, deposition, and age of sedimentary rocks.
strat′i·graph′ic (străt′ĭ-grăf′ĭk), strat′i·graph′i·cal (-ĭ-kəl) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Geological Science) the study of the composition, relative positions, etc, of rock strata in order to determine their geological history
2. (Archaeology) archaeol a vertical section through the earth showing the relative positions of the human artefacts and therefore the chronology of successive levels of occupation
stratigrapher, stratigraphist n
stratigraphic, ˌstratiˈgraphical adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
stra•tig•ra•phy(strəˈtɪg rə fi)
a branch of geology dealing with the classification, nomenclature, correlation, and interpretation of stratified rocks.
strat•i•graph•ic (ˌstræt ɪˈgræf ɪk) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
the branch of geology that studies the classification, correlation, and interpretation of stratified rocks. — stratigrapher, n. — stratigraphic, stratigraphical, adj.See also: Geology
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. The study of the composition and relative positions of rock strata.
2. A section cut vertically in the ground and used, by examining the different layers, to determine the chronology of human artifacts or settlement remains that are found buried.
3. The study of stratified (layered) rocks.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited