Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Any of several North American ground cherries, especially Physalis pruinosa, having edible yellowish fruit.
2. The fruit of any of these plants.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nAlso called: Cape gooseberry
1. (Plants) a tropical solanaceous annual plant, Physalis peruviana, having bell-shaped whitish-yellow flowers and small edible round yellow berries
2. (Plants) a similar and related plant, Physalis pubescens
3. (Cookery) the fruit of either of these plants, eaten fresh or made into preserves and pickles
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the small, edible, tomatolike fruit of the plant Physalis pruinosa, of the nightshade family.
2. the plant itself.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||strawberry tomato - stout hairy annual of eastern North America with sweet yellow fruits|
|2.||strawberry tomato - decorative American annual having round fleshy yellow berries enclosed in a bladderlike husk|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.