stria(redirected from striae)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. stri·ae (strī′ē)
1. A thin, narrow groove or channel.
2. A thin line or band, especially one of several that are parallel or close together: a characteristic stria of contractile tissue.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n (often plural) , pl striae (ˈstraɪiː)
1. (Geological Science) geology Also called: striation any of the parallel scratches or grooves on the surface of a rock caused by abrasion resulting from the passage of a glacier, motion on a fault surface, etc
2. (Geological Science) fine ridges and grooves on the surface of a crystal caused by irregular growth
3. (Biology) biology anatomy a narrow band of colour or a ridge, groove, or similar linear mark, usually occurring in a parallel series
4. (Anatomy) biology anatomy a narrow band of colour or a ridge, groove, or similar linear mark, usually occurring in a parallel series
5. (Architecture) architect a narrow channel, such as a flute on the shaft of a column
[C16: from Latin: a groove]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. stri•ae (ˈstraɪ i)
1. a slight or narrow furrow, ridge, stripe, or streak, esp. one of a number in parallel arrangement: striae of muscle fiber.
2. any of a series of parallel lines on glaciated rock surfaces or the faces of crystals.
[1555–65; < Latin: furrow, channel]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stria - any of a number of tiny parallel grooves such as: the scratches left by a glacier on rocks or the streaks or ridges in muscle tissue|
|2.||stria - a stripe or stripes of contrasting color; "chromosomes exhibit characteristic bands"; "the black and yellow banding of bees and wasps"|
collar - (zoology) an encircling band or marking around the neck of any animal
stretch mark - a narrow band resulting from tension on the skin (as on abdominal skin after pregnancy)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. lista, fibra.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
strian (pl -ae) estría
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.