Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to strigose: decumbent
1. Botany Having stiff, straight, closely appressed hair: strigose leaves.
2. Zoology Marked with fine, close-set grooves, ridges, or streaks.
1. (Botany) botany bearing stiff hairs or bristles: strigose leaves.
2. (Zoology) zoology marked with fine closely set grooves or ridges
[C18: via New Latin strigōsus, from striga a bristle, from Latin: grain cut down]
1. Bot. set with stiff bristles or hairs.
2. Zool. marked with fine, closely set ridges, grooves, or points.
[1785–95; < Latin strig(a) furrow, row of bristles + -ose1]