Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An ensemble of four musicians playing stringed instruments, usually two violins, a viola, and a cello.
2. A composition for such a group.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Classical Music) an instrumental ensemble consisting of two violins, one viola, and one cello
2. (Classical Music) a piece of music written for such a group, usually having the form and commonest features of a sonata
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a musical composition for four stringed instruments, typically two violins, viola, and cello.
2. the musicians performing string quartets.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
string quartetn → quartetto d'archi
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995