Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. strug·gled, strug·gling, strug·gles
1. To exert muscular energy, as against a material force or mass: struggled with the heavy load.
a. To be strenuously engaged with a problem, task, or undertaking: struggled for years before breaking through as an actor.
b. To have difficulty or make a strenuous effort doing something: struggled to be polite.
c. To move or progress with difficulty: struggled up the steep slope.
3. To contend or compete: "Right and wrong ... will ever continue to struggle" (Abraham Lincoln).
To move or place (something) with an effort: struggled the heavy desk into the elevator.
1. The act of struggling: the rat's struggle to escape the snake's coils.
2. A strenuous effort in the face of difficulty: the struggle for civil rights.
3. Strife, contention, or combat: armed struggle.
4. Something that is difficult to do or achieve: Getting him to agree will be a struggle.
[Middle English struglen.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||struggling - engaged in a struggle to overcome especially poverty or obscurity; "a financially struggling theater"; "struggling artists"|
troubled - characterized by or indicative of distress or affliction or danger or need; "troubled areas"; "fell into a troubled sleep"; "a troubled expression"; "troubled teenagers"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
struggling[ˈstrʌglɪŋ] ADJ [artist, writer, actor] → que lucha por abrirse camino; [business, team] → en apuros
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995