Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Biology A taxonomic category of related organisms ranking below a class and above an order.
2. A subdivision of a set or class.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a principal subdivision of a class
2. (Biology) biology a taxonomic group that is a subdivision of a class
3. (Mathematics) maths another name for subset1
(tr) to assign to a subclass
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a primary division of a class.
2. a subordinate class, as of people.
3. Biol. a category of related orders within a class.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A subdivision of a class of organisms. A subclass contains one or more orders.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Past participle: subclassed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||subclass - (biology) a taxonomic category below a class and above an order|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.