Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A cultural subgroup differentiated by status, ethnic background, residence, religion, or other factors that functionally unify the group and act collectively on each member.
2. One culture of microorganisms derived from another.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Sociology) a subdivision of a national culture or an enclave within it with a distinct integrated network of behaviour, beliefs, and attitudes
2. (Microbiology) a culture of microorganisms derived from another culture
(Microbiology) (tr) to inoculate (bacteria from one culture medium) onto another medium
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
sub•cul•ture(n. ˈsʌbˌkʌl tʃər; v. sʌbˈkʌl tʃər)
n., v. -tured, -tur•ing. n.
a. a group having social, economic, ethnic, or other traits distinctive enough to distinguish it from others within the same culture or society.
b. the cultural patterns distinctive of such a group.
2. a bacterial culture derived from a strain that has been recultivated on a different medium.v.t.
3. to cultivate (a bacterial strain) again on a different medium.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: subcultured
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||subculture - a social group within a national culture that has distinctive patterns of behavior and beliefs|
social group - people sharing some social relation
culture, civilisation, civilization - a particular society at a particular time and place; "early Mayan civilization"
suburbia - suburbanites considered as a cultural class or subculture
youth culture - young adults (a generational unit) considered as a cultural class or subculture
psychedelia - the subculture of users of psychedelic drugs
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
subculture[ˈsʌbˌkʌltʃəʳ] N → subcultura f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
subculturesub-culture [ˈsʌbkʌltʃər] n → sous-culture f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
subculture[ˈsʌbˌkʌltʃəʳ] n → sottocultura
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. subcultivo, cultivo de bacterias que se deriva de otro.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012