Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. sub·fam·i·lies
1. Biology A taxonomic category of related organisms ranking below a family and above a genus.
2. Linguistics A division of languages below a family and above a branch.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -lies
1. (Biology) biology a taxonomic group that is a subdivision of a family
2. any analogous subdivision, as of a family of languages
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
sub•fam•i•ly(sʌbˈfæm ə li, -ˈfæm li, ˈsʌbˌfæm ə li, -ˌfæm li)
n., pl. -lies.
1. Biol. a category of related genera within a family.
2. a group of related languages within a family, constituting a higher order than a branch.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||subfamily - (biology) a taxonomic category below a family|
Latinae - a subfamily of the family Centropomidae
family - (biology) a taxonomic group containing one or more genera; "sharks belong to the fish family"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.