subgroup(redirected from subgroups)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to subgroups: Proper subgroup
1. A distinct group within a group; a subdivision of a group.
2. A subordinate group.
3. Mathematics A group that is a subset of a group.
tr.v. sub·grouped, sub·group·ing, sub·groups
To divide into subgroups.
1. a distinct and often subordinate division of a group
2. (Mathematics) a mathematical group whose members are members of another group, both groups being subject to the same rule of combination
1. a subordinate group.
2. Math. a subset of a group that is closed under the group operation and in which every element has an inverse in the subset.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||subgroup - a distinct and often subordinate group within a group|
bench - the reserve players on a team; "our team has a strong bench"
|2.||subgroup - (mathematics) a subset (that is not empty) of a mathematical group|
math, mathematics, maths - a science (or group of related sciences) dealing with the logic of quantity and shape and arrangement