caruncle(redirected from submandibular caruncle)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Biology A fleshy naked outgrowth, such as a fowl's wattles.
2. Botany An outgrowth or appendage at or near the hilum of certain seeds, as of the castor-oil plant.
[Obsolete French caruncule, from Latin caruncula, diminutive of carō, flesh; see sker- in Indo-European roots.]
ca·run′cu·lar (-kyə-lər) adj.
ca·run′cu·late (-lĭt, -lāt′), ca·run′cu·lat′ed (-lā′tĭd) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Zoology) a fleshy outgrowth on the heads of certain birds, such as a cock's comb
2. (Botany) an outgrowth near the hilum on the seeds of some plants
3. (Pathology) any small fleshy mass in or on the body, either natural or abnormal
[C17: from obsolete French caruncule, from Latin caruncula a small piece of flesh, from carō flesh]
caruncular, caˈrunculous adj
carunculate, caˈruncuˌlated adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
car•un•cle(ˈkær ʌŋ kəl, kəˈrʌŋ-)
1. a protuberance at or surrounding the hilum of a seed.
2. a fleshy excrescence, as on the head of a bird; a fowl's comb.
[1605–15; < Latin caruncula small piece of flesh, diminutive of carō, s. carn- flesh; for suffix, see carbuncle]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||caruncle - an outgrowth on a plant or animal such as a fowl's wattle or a protuberance near the hilum of certain seeds|
appendage, outgrowth, process - a natural prolongation or projection from a part of an organism either animal or plant; "a bony process"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. carúncula, pequeña irritación de la piel;
urethral ___ → uretral.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012