submarine(redirected from submarined)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Nautical A vessel that is capable of operating submerged.
2. A submarine sandwich.
3. Baseball A pitch that is thrown with a low sidearm or underhand motion.
1. Beneath the surface of the water; undersea.
2. Thrown with or characterized by a low sidearm or underhand motion: a submarine-style pitcher.
v. sub·ma·rined, sub·ma·rin·ing, sub·ma·rines
1. To attack by submarine, especially with torpedoes.
2. Sports To knock down with a blow to the legs.
3. Baseball To pitch (a ball) with a low sidearm or underhand motion.
1. To slide, drive, or be thrown under something: seats designed to prevent passengers from submarining under their seat belts in a crash.
2. To ride in or serve as a crew member of a submarine.
1. (Military) a vessel, esp one designed for warfare, capable of operating for protracted periods below the surface of the sea. Often shortened to: sub
a. of or relating to a submarine: a submarine captain.
b. occurring or situated below the surface of the sea: a submarine cable.
sub•ma•rine(ˌsʌb məˈrin, ˈsʌb məˌrin)
n., adj., v. -rined, -rin•ing. n.
1. a vessel that can be submerged and navigated under water.
2. something situated or living under the surface of the sea, as a plant or animal.
3. Chiefly Northeastern and North Midland U.S. a hero sandwich.adj.
4. situated, occurring, operating, or living under the surface of the sea.
5. of, pertaining to, or carried on by a submarine.v.i.
6. to participate in the operating of a submarine.
7. to move or slide under something.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||submarine - a submersible warship usually armed with torpedoes|
attack submarine - a military submarine designed and armed to attack enemy shipping
auxiliary research submarine - a submarine for research purposes
conning tower - a raised bridge on a submarine; often used for entering and exiting
escape hatch - hatchway that provides a means of escape in an emergency
fleet ballistic missile submarine - a submarine carrying ballistic missiles
nautilus, nuclear submarine, nuclear-powered submarine - a submarine that is propelled by nuclear power
periscope - an optical instrument that provides a view of an otherwise obstructed field
schnorchel, schnorkel, snorkel breather, breather, snorkel - air passage provided by a retractable device containing intake and exhaust pipes; permits a submarine to stay submerged for extended periods of time
asdic, echo sounder, sonar - a measuring instrument that sends out an acoustic pulse in water and measures distances in terms of the time for the echo of the pulse to return; "sonar is an acronym for sound navigation ranging"; "asdic is an acronym for antisubmarine detection investigation committee"
|2.||submarine - a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States|
hero sandwich, hoagie, hoagy, Italian sandwich, poor boy, sub, submarine sandwich, Cuban sandwich, grinder, zep, torpedo, wedge, bomber, hero
sandwich - two (or more) slices of bread with a filling between them
|Verb||1.||submarine - move forward or under in a sliding motion; "The child was injured when he submarined under the safety belt of the car"|
|2.||submarine - throw with an underhand motion|
baseball, baseball game - a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empty lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!"
|3.||submarine - bring down with a blow to the legs|
|4.||submarine - control a submarine|
|5.||submarine - attack by submarine; "The Germans submarined the Allies"|
|Adj.||1.||submarine - beneath the surface of the sea |
subsurface - beneath the surface; "subsurface materials of the moon"
okręt podwodnyłódź podwodna
denizaltıdeniz altında bulunan
(abbreviation sub) a ship that can travel under the surface of the sea. duikboot غَوّاصَه подводница submarino ponorka das Unterseeboot undervandsbåd υποβρύχιοsubmarino allveelaev زير آبي رفتن sukellusvene sous-marinצוללת पनडुब्बी podmornica tengeralattjáró kapal selam kafbátur sottomarino 潜水艦 잠수함 povandeninis laivas zemūdene kapal selam onderzeeërundervannsbåt, ubåt łódź podwodna داوبو لاندی تلل submarino submarin подводная лодка ponorka podmornica podmornica ubåt เรือดำน้ำ denizaltı 潛水艇 підводний човен آبدوز کشتی tàu ngầm 潜水艇adjective
existing, or intended for use etc, under the surface of the sea. submarine vegetation. onderwateragtig تَحْت البَحْر подводен submarino podmořský Unterwasser-... undervands- υποβρύχιοςsubmarino veealune مربوط به زير دريا merenalais- sous-marin תַת מֵימִי अंत:सागरी, अंत: समुद्री podmorski tenger alatti bawah laut neðansjávar- sottomarino 海中の 해저 povandeninis zemūdens- bawah laut onderzeesundervanns-, undersjøiskpodwodny د سیند لاندی پوری مربوط submarino submarin подводный podmorský podmorski podmorski submarin, undervattens- ซึ่งอยู่ใต้น้ำ deniz altında bulunan 海底的，海生的 підводний سمندر کے اندر کام آنے والا dưới mặt biển 海底的，水下的