Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A vessel or vehicle capable of operating or remaining under water.
1. able to be submerged
2. capable of operating under water, etc
3. (Nautical Terms) a vessel designed to operate under water for short periods
4. (Nautical Terms) a submarine taking one or more men that is designed and equipped to carry out work in deep water below the levels at which divers can work
subˌmersiˈbility, subˌmergiˈbility n
sub•mers•i•ble(səbˈmɜr sə bəl)
1. capable of being submersed.
2. capable of functioning while submersed.n.
3. a small submarine equipped to carry out underwater research at great depths.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||submersible - an apparatus intended for use under water|
bathysphere - spherical deep diving apparatus (lowered by a cable) for underwater exploration
diving bell - diving apparatus for underwater work; has an open bottom and is supplied with compressed air
|2.||submersible - a warship designed to operate under water|
surface ship - a warship that operates on the surface of the water
|Adj.||1.||submersible - capable of being immersed in water or functioning while submerged; "a submersible pump"; "a submergible electric frying pan"|