expander(redirected from subperiosteal tissue expander)
Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia.
v. ex·pand·ed, ex·pand·ing, ex·pands
1. To increase the size, volume, quantity, or scope of; enlarge: expanded her store by adding a second room. See Synonyms at increase.
2. To express at length or in detail; enlarge on: expanded his remarks afterward.
3. To open (something) up or out; spread out: The bird expanded its wings and flew off.
4. Mathematics To write (a quantity) as a sum of terms in an extended form.
1. To become greater in size, volume, quantity, or scope: Air expands when heated. This critic's influence is expanding.
2. To speak or write at length or in detail: expand on a favorite topic.
3. To open up or out; unfold: The chair expands to form a daybed.
[Middle English expanden, to spread out, from Latin expandere : ex-, ex- + pandere, to spread; see petə- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a device for exercising and developing the muscles of the body: a chest expander.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n → Expander m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007