Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Substantial; considerable.
2. Independent in existence or function; not subordinate.
3. Not imaginary; actual; real.
4. Of or relating to the essence or substance; essential: substantive information.
5. Having a solid basis; firm.
6. Grammar Expressing or designating existence; for example, the verb to be.
7. Grammar Designating a noun or noun equivalent.
A word or group of words functioning as a noun.
[Middle English substantif, self-sufficient, independent, from Old French, substantive, from Late Latin substantīvus, from Latin substantia, substance; see substance.]