Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A sudden burst of sunlight, as through broken clouds.
a. A pattern or design consisting of a central disk with radiating spires projecting in the manner of sunbeams.
b. A jeweled brooch with such a design.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Physical Geography) a burst of sunshine, as through a break in the clouds
2. (Art Terms) a pattern or design resembling that of the sun
3. (Jewellery) a jewelled brooch with this pattern
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a sudden burst of sunlight, esp. through a rift in the clouds.
2. something that suggests the sun and its radiating beams, esp. a brooch with gemstones encircled by raylike projections.adj.
3. (in sewing, needlepoint, etc.) having the parts or lines of the design flared from a central point: sunburst pleats.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sunburst - a sudden emergence of the sun from behind clouds|
|2.||sunburst - a design consisting of a central disk resembling the sun and rays emanating from it|
|3.||sunburst - a jeweled brooch with a pattern resembling the sun|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.