sunder(redirected from sunderable)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. sun·dered, sun·der·ing, sun·ders
1. To break into two or more pieces or parts; sever: "Several disputed sculptures ... are sundered, with fragments residing in separate museums" (Lee Rosenbaum).
2. To force or keep apart: "Even our own kindred in the North are sundered from us" (J.R.R. Tolkien). See Synonyms at separate.
3. To form a barrier or border between: a river that sunders the two mountain ranges.
4. To dissolve (a connection or relationship): a disagreement that sundered their friendship.
To become broken into parts or disunited.
[Middle English sundren, from Old English sundrian.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
to break or cause to break apart or in pieces
in sunder into pieces; apart
[Old English sundrian; related to Old Norse sundr asunder, Gothic sundrō apart, Old High German suntar, Latin sine without]
ˈsunderance, ˈsunderment n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. to separate; part; divide; sever.v.i.
2. to become separated; part.
[before 900; Middle English sundren, Old English (ge)sundrian (c. Old High German sunt(a)arōn, Old Norse sundra), derivative of sundor; see sundry]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: sundered
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||sunder - break apart or in two, using violence|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007