Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Australian A vagrant; a tramp.
2. Chiefly British An alcoholic drink taken at sundown.
1. obsolete slang Austral and NZ a tramp, esp one who seeks food and lodging at sundown when it is too late to work
2. (Nautical Terms) nautical a strict ship's officer
3. (Brewing) informal chiefly Brit an alcoholic drink taken at sunset
4. (Agriculture) slang NZ a lazy sheepdog
1. Chiefly Brit. an alcoholic drink taken after work, usu. at sundown.
2. Australian. a tramp or hobo.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sundowner - a tramp who habitually arrives at sundown|
Australia, Commonwealth of Australia - a nation occupying the whole of the Australian continent; Aboriginal tribes are thought to have migrated from southeastern Asia 20,000 years ago; first Europeans were British convicts sent there as a penal colony
|2.||sundowner - a drink taken at sundown|
drink - a single serving of a beverage; "I asked for a hot drink"; "likes a drink before dinner"
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom