Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. (Professions) a superintendent
2. (Professions) a supernumerary employee
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
su•per•nu•mer•ar•y(ˌsu pərˈnu məˌrɛr i, -ˈnyu-)
adj., n., pl. -ar•ies. adj.
1. being in excess of the usual, proper, or prescribed number; extra.
2. associated with a regular body or staff as an assistant or substitute in case of necessity.n.
3. a supernumerary or extra person or thing.
4. a supernumerary official or employee.
5. a person who appears in a play, opera, etc., without speaking lines or as part of a crowd; extra.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.