Also found in: Medical.
1. Of, relating to, or being in the area of the eyebrow: the superciliary arch of the frontal bone.
2. Located over the eyebrow or the eye: a superciliary patch of color.
[New Latin superciliāris, from Latin supercilium, eyebrow; see supercilious.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) relating to or situated over the eyebrow or a corresponding region in lower animals
2. (Zoology) relating to or situated over the eyebrow or a corresponding region in lower animals
[C18: from New Latin superciliaris, from Latin supercilium, from super- + cilium eyelid]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
su•per•cil•i•ar•y(ˌsu pərˈsɪl iˌɛr i)
1. of or pertaining to the eyebrow.
2. having a marking over the eye, as certain birds.
3. situated on the frontal bone at the level of the eyebrow.
[1725–35; < Latin supercili(um) eyebrow, haughtiness (super- super- + -cilium eyelid)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.