Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to superheated: Superheated steam
tr.v. su·per·heat·ed, su·per·heat·ing, su·per·heats
1. To heat excessively; overheat.
2. To heat (steam or other vapor not in contact with its own liquid) beyond its saturation point at a given pressure.
3. To heat (a liquid) above its boiling point without causing vaporization.
1. The amount by which a vapor is superheated.
2. The heat imparted during the process of superheating.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.