Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Of higher rank, status, or value.
2. Logic Of or being the relation of a broader category to a narrower category that it encompasses, such as metal in relation to iron.
su′per·or′di·nate′ (-ôr′dn-āt′) v.
su′per·or′di·na′tion (-ôr′dn-ā′shən) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
of higher status or condition
1. a person or thing that is superordinate
(tr) rare to make superordinate
su•per•or•di•nate(adj., n. ˌsu pərˈɔr dn ɪt; v. -ˌeɪt)
adj., n., v. -nat•ed, -nat•ing. adj.
1. of higher degree in condition or rank.n.
2. a superordinate person or thing.
3. a word that denotes a general class under which a set of subcategories is subsumed: Child is the superordinate of girl and boy. Compare hyponym.v.t.
4. to elevate to superordinate position.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: superordinated
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||superordinate - one of greater rank or station or quality|
leader - a person who rules or guides or inspires others
better - a superior person having claim to precedence; "the common man has been kept in his place by his betters"
god - a man of such superior qualities that he seems like a deity to other people; "he was a god among men"
supervisor - one who supervises or has charge and direction of
|2.||superordinate - a word that is more generic than a given word|
word - a unit of language that native speakers can identify; "words are the blocks from which sentences are made"; "he hardly said ten words all morning"
|Verb||1.||superordinate - place in a superior order or rank; "These two notions are superordinated to a third"|
|Adj.||1.||superordinate - of higher rank or status or value|
superior - of or characteristic of high rank or importance; "a superior ruler"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.