superstructure(redirected from superstructure casting)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. A physical or conceptual structure extended or developed from a basic form.
2. The part of a building or other structure above the foundation.
3. The parts of a ship's structure above the main deck.
4. The rails, sleepers, and other parts of a railway.
5. In Marxist theory, the ideologies or institutions of a society as distinct from the basic processes and direct social relations of material production and economics.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Building) the part of a building above its foundation
2. any structure or concept erected on something else
3. (Nautical Terms) nautical any structure above the main deck of a ship with sides flush with the sides of the hull
4. (Civil Engineering) the part of a bridge supported by the piers and abutments
5. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in Marxist theory) an edifice of interdependent agencies of the state, including legal and political institutions and ideologies, each possessing some autonomy but remaining products of the dominant mode of economic production
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
su•per•struc•ture(ˈsu pərˌstrʌk tʃər)
1. the part of a building or construction entirely above its foundation or basement.
2. any structure built on something else.
3. anything based on, arising from, or superimposed on a more fundamental construct, concept, system, etc.
4. any construction built above the main deck of a vessel as an upward continuation of the sides.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||superstructure - structure consisting of the part of a ship above the main deck|
deck-house - a superstructure on the upper deck of a ship
ship - a vessel that carries passengers or freight
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
superstructure[ˈsuːpəˌstrʌktʃəʳ] N → superestructura f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
superstructure[ˈsuːpərstrʌktʃər] n → superstructure f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
superstructure[ˈsuːpəˌstrʌktʃəʳ] n → sovrastruttura
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995