Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. sup·plied, sup·ply·ing, sup·plies
1. To make available for use; provide: Does the hotel supply towels?
2. To provide something necessary or desired to; furnish or equip: supplied the players with uniforms. See Synonyms at furnish.
3. To have as a necessary or desirable feature: a crime scene that supplied valuable evidence.
4. To fill sufficiently; satisfy: supply a need.
5. To make up for (a deficiency, for example); compensate for.
n. pl. sup·plies
1. The act of supplying: funds for the supply of the expedition.
2. An amount available or sufficient for a given use; stock: Our supply of milk is low.
3. often supplies Materials or provisions stored and dispensed when needed.
4. Economics The amount of a commodity available for meeting a demand or for purchase at a given price.
[Middle English supplien, to help, complete, furnish with additional troops, from Old French soupleer, to fill up, from Latin supplēre : sub-, from below; see sub- + plēre, to fill; see pelə- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
In logistics, all materiel and items used in the equipment, support, and maintenance of military forces. See also assembly; component; equipment; subassembly.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
nhu yếu phẩm
supplies→ تَورِيدَات zásobování forsyninger Versorgungsmaterial εφόδια provisiones tarvikkeet fournitures zalihe provviste 食糧 공급품 verbruiksartikelen forsyninger zapasy abastecimentos, suprimento запасы proviant สิ่งที่จัดหาให้ erzak nhu yếu phẩm 物资
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009