Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to supplying: suppling
tr.v. sup·plied, sup·ply·ing, sup·plies
1. To make available for use; provide: Does the hotel supply towels?
2. To provide something necessary or desired to; furnish or equip: supplied the players with uniforms. See Synonyms at furnish.
3. To have as a necessary or desirable feature: a crime scene that supplied valuable evidence.
4. To fill sufficiently; satisfy: supply a need.
5. To make up for (a deficiency, for example); compensate for.
n. pl. sup·plies
1. The act of supplying: funds for the supply of the expedition.
2. An amount available or sufficient for a given use; stock: Our supply of milk is low.
3. often supplies Materials or provisions stored and dispensed when needed.
4. Economics The amount of a commodity available for meeting a demand or for purchase at a given price.
[Middle English supplien, to help, complete, furnish with additional troops, from Old French soupleer, to fill up, from Latin supplēre : sub-, from below; see sub- + plēre, to fill; see pelə- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||supplying - the activity of supplying or providing something|
activity - any specific behavior; "they avoided all recreational activity"
irrigation - supplying dry land with water by means of ditches etc
issuance, issuing, issue - the act of providing an item for general use or for official purposes (usually in quantity); "a new issue of stamps"; "the last issue of penicillin was over a month ago"
logistics - handling an operation that involves providing labor and materials be supplied as needed
purveyance - the act of supplying something
stocking - the activity of supplying a stock of something; "he supervised the stocking of the stream with trout"
subvention - the act or process of providing aid or help of any sort
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.