Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to surd: pure surd
1. Mathematics An irrational number, such as √2.
2. Linguistics A voiceless sound in speech.
Voiceless, as a sound.
[Medieval Latin surdus, speechless, surd (translation of Arabic (jaḏr) 'aṣamm, deaf (root), surd, translation of Greek alogos, speechless, surd), from Latin.]
1. (Mathematics) maths an expression containing one or more irrational roots of numbers, such as 2√3 + 3√2 + 6
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics a voiceless consonant, such as (t)
3. (Mathematics) of or relating to a surd
4. (Phonetics & Phonology) of or relating to a surd
[C16: from Latin surdus muffled]
1. (of a speech sound) voiceless (opposed to sonant).
2. (of a quantity) not capable of being expressed in rational numbers; irrational.n.
3. a voiceless consonant.
4. a surd quantity.
[1545–55; < Latin surdus muted, literally, deaf]