Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to suspender: suspender belt
1. One, such as a hook, that suspends something else.
a. An often elastic strap worn over the shoulder, usually in pairs, to hold up a pair of pants.
b. suspenders A pair of such straps.
3. Chiefly British A garter.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) (often plural)
a. an elastic strap attached to a belt or corset having a fastener at the end, for holding up women's stockings
b. a similar fastener attached to a garter worn by men in order to support socks. US and Canadian equivalent: garter
2. (Clothing & Fashion) (plural) US and Canadian a pair of straps worn over the shoulders by men for holding up the trousers. Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): braces
3. (Civil Engineering) a person or thing that suspends, such as one of the vertical cables that carries the deck in a suspension bridge
1. Usu., suspenders. Also called, esp. Brit., braces. adjustable straps or bands worn over the shoulders with the ends secured to the waistband of a pair of trousers or a skirt to support it.
2. Brit. a garter.
3. a person or thing that suspends.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||suspender - elastic straps that hold trousers up (usually used in the plural)|
man's clothing - clothing that is designed for men to wear