Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A tool used in bending or shaping cold metal.
2. A stamp or die for marking or shaping metal with a hammer.
3. A swage block.
tr.v. swaged, swag·ing, swag·es
To bend or shape by or as if by using a swage.
[Middle English, ornamental border, from Old French souage.]
1. (Tools) a shaped tool or die used in forming cold metal by hammering, pressing, etc
2. (Art Terms) a decorative moulding
(Tools) (tr) to form (metal) with a swage
[C19: from French souage, of unknown origin]
n., v. swaged, swag•ing. n.
1. a tool, die, or stamp for giving a particular shape to metal on an anvil, in a stamping press, etc.v.t.
2. to bend or shape by means of a swage.
[1325–75; Middle English souage < Middle French (of uncertain orig.)]
Past participle: swaged
A die-like tool designed for use by blacksmiths for shaping metal.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||swage - a tool used to thicken or spread metal (the end of a bar or a rivet etc.) by forging or hammering or swaging|
tool - an implement used in the practice of a vocation
|Verb||1.||swage - form metals with a swage|