dovetail(redirected from swallow tail)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A fan-shaped tenon that forms a tight interlocking joint when fitted into a corresponding mortise.
2. A joint formed by interlocking one or more such tenons and mortises.
v. dove·tailed, dove·tail·ing, dove·tails
1. To cut into or join by means of dovetails.
2. To connect or combine precisely or harmoniously.
1. To be joined together by means of dovetails.
2. To combine or interlock into a unified whole: The nurses' schedules dovetailed, so that one was always on duty.
1. (Building) a wedge-shaped tenon
2. (Building) Also called: dovetail joint a joint containing such tenons
3. (Building) (tr) to join by means of dovetails
4. to fit or cause to fit together closely or neatly: he dovetailed his arguments to the desired conclusion.
1. a tenon broader at its end than at its base; pin.
2. a joint formed of one or more such tenons fitting tightly within corresponding mortises.v.t., v.i.
3. to join or fit together by means of a dovetail or dovetails.
4. to join or fit together compactly or harmoniously.
[1555–65; so named from its shape]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dovetail - a mortise joint formed by interlocking tenons and mortises|
|Verb||1.||dovetail - fit together tightly, as if by means of a dovetail|
fit - make fit; "fit a dress"; "He fitted other pieces of paper to his cut-out"
To conform to another, especially in size and shape: