Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. The deeply forked tail of a swallow.
b. Something similar to the tail of a swallow.
2. See tailcoat.
3. Any of various colorful, widely distributed butterflies of the family Papilionidae, usually having an extension at the end of each hind wing that resembles the tail of certain swallows.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) any of various butterflies of the genus Papilio and related genera, esp P. machaon of Europe, having a tail-like extension of each hind wing: family Papilionidae
2. (Zoology) the forked tail of a swallow or similar bird
3. (Clothing & Fashion) short for swallow-tailed coat
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the tail of a swallow or a deeply forked tail like that of a swallow.
2. any of several butterflies of the genus Papilio, characterized by elongated hind wings.
3. tail coat.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||swallowtail - a man's full-dress jacket with two long tapering tails at the back|
dress suit, full dress, tail coat, tailcoat, tails, white tie and tails, white tie - formalwear consisting of full evening dress for men
jacket - a short coat
morning dress - formal attire for men during the daytime
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.