Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A box in which something, such as hides or fruit, is fermented by sweating.
2. Slang A confined place where a person sweats, especially:
a. An interrogation room.
b. A prison cell used for special punishment.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Agriculture) a device for causing tobacco leaves, fruit, or hides to sweat
2. (Agriculture) a very small pen or cubicle where a pig is fattened intensively
3. (Law) informal chiefly US a narrow room or cell for a prisoner
4. informal any place where a person sweats on account of confinement, heat, etc
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a sauna or other enclosure for sweating.
2. any uncomfortably warm room or place.
3. a box or cell in which a prisoner is confined as punishment.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sweatbox - small or narrow cell|
|2.||sweatbox - a device that causes tobacco leaves or fruit or hides to sweat|
device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.