Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A native or inhabitant of Sweden.
2. A person of Swedish ancestry.
[Low German (from Middle Low German Swēde) or Dutch Zweed (from Middle Dutch Swēde).]
[From its introduction from Sweden.]
nAlso called (for senses 1, 2): Swedish turnip or rutabaga (US and Canadian)
1. (Plants) a Eurasian plant, Brassica napus (or B. napobrassica), cultivated for its bulbous edible root, which is used as a vegetable and as cattle fodder: family Brassicaceae (crucifers)
2. (Cookery) the root of this plant
3. (Agriculture) the root of this plant
4. NZ a slang word for head1
[C19: so called after being introduced into Scotland from Sweden in the 18th century]
(Peoples) a native, citizen, or inhabitant of Sweden
a native or inhabitant of Sweden.
[1580–90; < Middle Dutch]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Swede - a native or inhabitant of Sweden|
Kingdom of Sweden, Sverige, Sweden - a Scandinavian kingdom in the eastern part of the Scandinavian Peninsula
European - a native or inhabitant of Europe
|2.||swede - a cruciferous plant with a thick bulbous edible yellow root|
rutabaga, yellow turnip, swedish turnip, swede - the large yellow root of a rutabaga plant used as food
turnip plant - any of several widely cultivated plants having edible roots
|3.||swede - the large yellow root of a rutabaga plant used as food|
turnip - root of any of several members of the mustard family
củ cải Thụy Điểnngười Thụy Điển