Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
sweet gumor sweet·gum (swēt′gŭm′)
1. Any of several trees of the genus Liquidambar, especially L. styraciflua of North America and Central America, having palmately lobed leaves, prickly round hanging fruit, and wood formerly used to make furniture.
2. The aromatic resin obtained from this tree.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nOften shortened to: red gum
1. (Plants) a North American liquidambar tree, Liquidambar styraciflua, having prickly spherical fruit clusters and fragrant sap: the wood (called satin walnut) is used to make furniture. Compare sour gum
2. (Elements & Compounds) the sap of this tree
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a tall, aromatic tree, Liquidambarstyraciflua, of the witch hazel family, native to the eastern U.S., with star-shaped leaves and fruits in rounded, burlike clusters.
2. the hard reddish brown wood of this tree, used for making furniture.
3. the amber balsam exuded by this tree, used in perfumes and medicines.Also called red gum (for defs. 1,2).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sweet gum - reddish-brown wood and lumber from heartwood of the sweet gum tree used to make furniture|
|2.||sweet gum - aromatic exudate from the sweet gum tree|
American sweet gum, bilsted, Liquidambar styraciflua, sweet gum tree, sweet gum, red gum - a North American tree of the genus Liquidambar having prickly spherical fruit clusters and fragrant sap
gum - any of various substances (soluble in water) that exude from certain plants; they are gelatinous when moist but harden on drying
|3.||sweet gum - a North American tree of the genus Liquidambar having prickly spherical fruit clusters and fragrant sap|
liquidambar - any tree of the genus Liquidambar
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.