Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
adj. sweet·er, sweet·est
1. Having the taste of sugar or a substance containing or resembling sugar, as honey or saccharin.
a. Containing or derived from sugar.
b. Retaining some natural sugar; not dry: a sweet wine.
a. Pleasing to the senses; agreeable: the sweet song of the lark; a sweet face.
b. Pleasing to the mind or feelings; gratifying: sweet revenge.
4. Having a pleasing disposition; lovable: a sweet child.
5. Kind; gracious: It was sweet of him to help out.
6. Fragrant; perfumed: a sweet scent.
7. Not saline or salted: sweet water; sweet butter.
8. Not spoiled, sour, or decaying; fresh: sweet milk.
9. Free of acid or acidity: sweet soil.
10. Low in sulfur content: sweet fuel oil.
11. Music Of, relating to, or being a form of jazz characterized by adherence to a melodic line and to a time signature.
a. Remarkable; outstanding.
b. Used as an intensive: took his own sweet time to finish; earns a sweet million per year.
In a sweet manner; sweetly.
1. Sweet taste or quality; sweetness.
2. Something sweet to the taste.
a. Foods, such as candy, pastries, puddings, or preserves, that are high in sugar content.
b. Informal Sweet potatoes: candied sweets.
4. Chiefly British
a. A sweet dish, such as pudding, served as dessert.
b. A sweetmeat or confection.
5. A dear or beloved person.
6. Something pleasing to the mind or feelings.
sweet on Informal
Enamored of; in love with.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
In British English, small, sweet things that you eat, such as toffees and chocolates, are called sweets.
She did not allow her children to eat too many sweets.
In American English, sweet things like these are called candy. Candy is an uncountable noun.
You eat too much candy. It's bad for your teeth.
Collins COBUILD English Usage © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 2004, 2011, 2012
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
sweets→ حَلَوِيات cukrovinky slik Süßigkeiten ζαχαρωτά golosinas makeiset bonbons slatkiši caramelle キャンデー 사탕 snoepjes sukkertøy słodycze doces сласти godis ลูกกวาด tatlılar bánh kẹo 糖果
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
n., pl. golosinas, dulces.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012