sweetsop(redirected from sweetsops)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to sweetsops: sugar apple
1. A tropical American tree (Annona squamosa) widely cultivated for its yellowish-green fruit with sweet edible pulp.
2. The fruit of this tree. In both senses also called sugar apple.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nAlso: sugar apple or custard apple
1. (Plants) a small West Indian tree, Annona squamosa, having yellowish-green fruit: family Annonaceae
2. (Cookery) the fruit of this tree, which has a sweet edible pulp
[C19: so called because of the flavour and consistency of its pulp]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a sweet, pulpy fruit having a thin, tuberculate rind, borne by a tropical American tree or shrub, Annona squamosa, of the annona family.
2. the tree or shrub. Also called sugar apple.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sweetsop - tropical American tree bearing sweet pulpy fruit with thick scaly rind and shiny black seeds|
annon, sugar apple, sweetsop - sweet pulpy tropical fruit with thick scaly rind and shiny black seeds
|2.||sweetsop - sweet pulpy tropical fruit with thick scaly rind and shiny black seeds|
custard apple - the fruit of any of several tropical American trees of the genus Annona having soft edible pulp
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.